Tuesday, May 18, 2010

THE DREAM

I never got the chance to tell you goodbye
Instead our last conversation was The Dream
I hope we dreamed this dream together

There was a long hallway with many doors
I opened the one with your name on it
Sitting up in the coffin you said, “Hi Larryna”

You told me you were sorry
You hadn’t spoken with me those past years
You were a flawed father, an imperfect man

But you wanted me to know you loved me
A short message with a long tail
And one I’d always wanted to hear

Too soon it was time to close your coffin forever
Obediently you lay back down, never to return
They had to pull me from the building

As a huge bulldozer groaned to life
Its giant blade destroyed the building
Like you, all was gone,

So, we got to say our goodbye
To settle our accounts
And let the memory of you fly.

[About 3 months after my Dad died, I had The Dream. To this day it is clearer and more real than any memory I have of the times we shared together. Maybe this is only a gift I gave myself, but it could be the fulfillment of what we both wanted]

No comments:

Post a Comment