Saturday, December 18, 2010

DEATH'S MOUNTAIN OF DUST

Unexpected and unseasonal
Death clipped another coupon
From my book of life today

A relative of a cousin died
Another deposit on death's
Mountain of Dust

He was an entirely pleasant person
Last seen at a family party
Cleaning up and washing others dishes
With a smile almost a laugh

Exactly how old was he, I asked
Collecting yet another data point
And recalculating probable dates
Of the day for which
I will see the start
But will not see the end

May death become confused
And lost
The day it comes
Looking for my door

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Larry. May Death indeed become confused and lost, the day it comes looking for your door!
    As a friend and former business associate, I came seeking to rekindle my love of your paintings. I learned herein of your poetry.
    It too is excellent.
    Sincerely,
    Keith Nichols

    ReplyDelete