Monday, February 14, 2011

Condition Normal

It's just dawn and my shield is not yet raised
A cold front blew through an hour ago
Blowing over my garbage can and scattering trash

Just as I finished gathering the detritus
The garbage truck is rumbling down my street
With only a single, frantic man dumping the containers

It's below freezing with heavy horizontal wind-driven rain
The worker is wearing only flip-flops, jeans and a very wet t-shirt
Running, hauling, lifting, dumping, returning, freezing, repeating

I caught his eye
And shrugged my shoulders
"What in the hell are you doing?" I chastised

In turn he shrugged his shoulders
"I'm picking up your trash
These clothes are all I have" I thought he said

Anticipating the weather conditions
I'd dressed in layers
Before stepping outside my warm, dry house

My indifference barrier still not activated
I am shocked at the situation
Pain and empathy seize me

I gave him my sweater
And my favorite rain coat
And returned to my home

When I crossed the threshold
I burst into tears
Later my heart returned to condition normal

No comments:

Post a Comment